Our strengths in the South West
We are a region with strong and growing expertise in world leading industries, in a highly desirable area of outstanding natural beauty that can offer a place to work, invest and live that is second to none in the UK and competes with any place in the world.
As recognised in our recent South West England and South East Wales Science and Innovation Audit we have world-leading research and innovation in the South West, including aerospace, microelectronics, energy generation, environmental technologies, and digital systems including:
- World leading energy innovation including next generation nuclear and renewables on both land and sea
- A Marine Cluster which is recognised as the UK’s leading marine industry hub, with world-renowned research institutions and a large and growing network of sector-leading, innovative marine companies
- High Value Engineering Design and System Integration skills, encompassing whole structure, sub-structure and propulsion integration in fixed wing and rotorcraft; with 14 of the 15 largest aerospace companies in the world in the wider region and with associated research excellence
- Technical expertise, and scientific excellence in Hydrogen / Fuel Cells technology and an emerging clustser in distributed energy systems and smart grid technology
- Part of the largest silicon design cluster outside of the USA, which is a recognised powerhouse of electronics and computing in industry and in academia
- Pioneering new technology expertise in a wide range of digital areas from microelectronics and cyber security; to remote sensing; satellite applications and high performance computing.